Skip to main content

The Pianist




Directed by: Roman Polanski

Language: English

Year: 2002

Genre: drama, historical drama

Starring: Adrien Brody, Thomas Kretschmann, Frank Finlay, Emilia Fox


Synopsis 
During the World War II, an acclaimed Polish musician Wladyslaw faces various struggles as he loses contact with his family. As the situation worsens, he hides in the ruins of Warsaw in order to survive.

My view
”The Pianist” is an intense drama film directed by Roman Polansky based on the autobiography of Wladyslaw Szpilman.

The movie is set in the late 30s and 40s. It's about the story of Wladyslaw Szpilman, a Polish jew and his struggles to get through the Jew holocaust by the Germans. 
This movie is not totally about the Nazi Holocaust on the Jews, it portrays the events occured to the protagonist (Szpilman). How he went through such horrible times, how the man survived such a massacre. When he first heard the news about the relocation of Jews, he decides not to leave home at any circumstances. But eventually, Szpilman and his family were forced to leave their city and later on seperated among themselves.

Szpilman refuses to join the Jewish police force formed to work under the Nazis. It may or may not have had his family saved. But his dignity didn't allow him to do so.

In the following events, Szpilman loses his family and is forced to live hiding in the ruins of Warsaw, with limited amount of food and water. 

The movie also demonstrate remarkable episodes of highly intense, emotional and heartbreaking events. It displays how desperate people can be. The things people do to survive. There is no man dangerous than someone with high survival instinct. Szpilman was able to get through the situation alive with both willpower and luck.

Apart from being a survival story, it illustrate the true events happened in Poland during the World War II.

In the final scenes, Szpilman is asked to play piano by a Nazi official. Despite all the hunger and suffering, he plays something truly magical. 
No matter how good or bad life may turn we never actually change from who we really are and here in case of Szpilman, he was born to be a pianist. 

Wladyslaw Szpilman was neither a hero nor a fighter but he did what he had to do to survive.

Adrian Brody lived the role of Szpilman to it's fullest. It takes pure talent to portray all that emotions of loneliness, hunger, and pain. No wonder he won Oscars that year for best actor.

The pianist won Oscars for best director (Roman Polansky), best-adapted screenplay(Ronald Harwood), and best actor(Adrian Brody).

Slow but still this movie will leave some impacts on our mind. Try watching Roberto Bengini’s  ”Life Is Beautiful”(Italian) too. 


                   ***
  

Images: Pintrest






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Years

  I have never celebrated New Year's in my life: 24 years and not even a single year. I don’t remember doing the countdown ever in my life. I never really saw the point. Also, the timing never came right.  Arguably this might have been the most difficult year of my life to get through. It has definitely been the loneliest year. Nothing much really happened. I learned a lot of stuff, career-wise, and life-wise. Human interaction was at its lowest. I made one new friend and lost countless. But I’m sure the one I made is for life, so that’s good. I really had to throw everything in and give my absolute best to get through this year. There were days when I felt like giving everything up and going back home. I still do, some days, most days. I don’t even know what’s keeping me here.  Though sometimes I like the uncertainty I have with my life. I have never been a planner. Nothing in my life has been planned. School, college, career, friends, love, heartbreaks. Everything just happened a

Letters to Rahel - Episodes of grief

Dear Rahel, I feel like we're heading towards the end of this story. No matter how forward I look into the future, I can't see myself at peace. I am convinced that this is how it is going to go down. This feeling, this constant feeling of helplessness and chronic dissatisfaction. It is here to stay. This is how it is going to be forever. I don't feel like a real person anymore. I feel like the memory of a person, and memory's fading. Soon it'll be like I never existed.  I have been having these episodes of grief lately. Why do I call it episodes of grief you may ask. I have been having days where it feels like someone had died. It's somebody's funeral. And I sit through the day trying to figure out who had died. It sure feels like someone I knew very closely had died.  Maybe I'm dying. I feel like I've been forgetting myself lately. Like you know how you used to be friends with someone back in school. You used to tell each other everything. And now y

Mother, please come get me

I keep having this recurring nightmare, cutting myself open, with the sharpest blade. My face and my arms. It is not a pretty sight, but simultaneously so calm and soothing. I keep thinking about it throughout the day, trying to find out the meaning behind it. The visual keeps popping up in my head, how blood, red as wine kept flowing out of the slits smoothly. I tried to taste it in my dream but woke up just before I brought it to my tongue. I feel like buying a typewriter, and typing out hundreds of words, and then burning those papers. I want to write about grief. About loneliness, and the dark dampness of winter. About mothers, and fathers. About crippling anxiety, and the labyrinth of adulthood. About how your world becomes less and less wide as you grow up. About the helplessness of it all. About the hopelessness of it all. About the pointlessness of it all.  I have become emotionally numb like never before. It feels like a dam of tears spurring and stuck inside of me. Unattended