Skip to main content

Ten War Movies you don’t want to miss


1. FURY
1945, in World War II Germany, the tough Sergeant Don ‘Wardaddy’ collier commands a tank and survives a German attack with his veteran five man crew. He receives a rookie soldier Norman Ellison as the substitute for his diseased gunner and he tries to harden the youth along the way.


• DIRECTOR: David Ayer
• CAST: Brad Pitt, Logan Lerman,  Shia LaBeouf, Michael Pena,    Jon Beenthal, Jason Isaacs, Scott Eastwood
• MUSIC: Steen Price
• CINEMATOGRAPHY: Roman Vasyanov

2. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
Steven Spielberg’s epic war movie is set during the Invasion of Normandy in World War II, the film is notable for graphic portrayal of war and for the intensity of opening  27 minutes which includes a depiction of Omaha Beach assault during the Normandy Landings.
It follows US Army Rangers Captain John H Miller (Tom Hanks) and his squad as they search for a paratrooper, Private James Francis Ryan (Matt Damon) who is the last surviving brother of four servicemen.


• DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg
• CAST: Tom Hanks, Edward Burns, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore
• MUSIC: John Williams
• CINEMATOGRAPHY: Janusz Kaminski

3. HACKSAW RIDGE
Mel Gibson’s epic movie plots the true story of Pfc Desmond T Doss (Andrew Garfield), who won the Congressional Medal of Honor despite refusing to bear arms during World War II on religious grounds. Doss was drafted and ostracized by fellow soldiers for his pacifist adoration for his bravery, selflessness and compassion after he risked his life without firing a shot to save 75 men in the Battle of Okinawa


• DIRECTOR: Mel Gibson
• CAST: Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer, Hugo Weaving, Rachel Griffiths
• MUSIC: Rupert Gregson Williams
• CINEMEATOGRAPHY: Simon Duggan

4. FULL METAL JACKET
British-American war film, storyline follows a platoon of US Marines through their training, primarily focusing on two privates, Joker and Pyle, who struggle to get thorough boot camp under their foul-mouthed drill instructor, Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, and the experiences of the two of the platoon’s Marines in the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War.


• DIRECTOR: Stanley Kubrick
• CAST:  Mathew Modine,  Vincent D’Onofrio,  R Lee Ermey,  Adam Baldwin,  Ariss Howard, 
• MUSIC: Abigail Mead
• CINEMATOGRAPHY: Douglas Milsome

5.  DUNKIRK
In May 1940, Germany advanced into France, trapping Allied troops on the beaches of Dunkirk. DUNKIRK portrays  evacuation of some 330,000 French, British, Belgian and Dutch soldiers by means of land, water and air.



• DIRECTOR: Christopher Nolan
• CAST: Tom Hardy, Harry Styles, Fionn Whitehead, Jack Lowden, Jamey D’Arcy
• MUSIC: Hans Zimmer
• CINEMATOGRAPHY: Hoyte Van Hoytema

6. INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
 1944, Nazi-occupied France, Lt Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) and his basterds, a bunch of ruthless Jewish soldiers must help the Allies trying to wipe out the German high command at a film premiere. The cinema, however, is owned by a vengeful Jewish survivor with plans of her own.


  • DIRECTOR: Quentin Torentino
  • CAST: Brad Pitt, Christopher Waltz, Eli Roth, Melanie Lorent, Diane Kruger
CINEMATOGRAPHY: Robert Richardson 

7. AMERICAN SNIPER 
 The film follows the life of Kyle (Bradley Cooper), who became the deadliest marksman in U.S. military history with 255 kills from four tours in the Iraq War, 160 of which were officially confirmed by the Department of Defense While Kyle was celebrated for his military successes, his tours of duty took a heavy toll on his personal and family life.




  • DIRECTOR: Clint Eastwood 
  • CAST: Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller, 
  • CINEMATOGRAPHY: Tom Stern

 8. BEHIND ENEMY LINES
Behind Enemy Linea is a 2001 American war film directed by John Moore in his directorial debut, and starring Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman. The film tells the story of Lieutenant Chris Burnett, an American naval flight officerwho is shot down over Bosnia and uncovers genocide during the Bosnian War. Meanwhile, his commanding officer is struggling to gain approval to launch a combat search and rescuemission to save Burnett. The plot is loosely based on the 1995 Mrkonjić Grad incident that occurred during the war.


  • DIRECTOR: John Moore
  • CAST: Owen Wilson, Gene Hackman, David Keith, Olek Krupa
  • MUSIC: Don Davis
  • CINEMATOGRAPHY: Brendan Galvin
9. WAR HORSE
War horse is a 2011 war drama film directed and co-produced by Steven Spielberg. Set before and during World War I, it tells of the journey of Joey, a bay thoroughbred horse raised by British teenager Albert (Irvine), as he is bought by the British Army, leading him to encounter numerous individuals and owners throughout Europe, all the while experiencing the tragedies of the war happening around him.


  • DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg
  • CAST: Emily Watson, David Thewlis, Peter Mullan, Jeremy Irvine
  • MUSIC: John Williams
  • CINEMATOGRAPHY: Janusz Kaminski
10. BLACK HAWK DOWN
Black Hawk Down is a 2001 war film produced and directed by Ridley Scott from a screenplay by Ken Nolan. The film tales place in 1993 when the US sent special forces to sonalia to destabilise the government and brong food and humanitarian aid tp starving population. Using Hawk Helicopters to lower the soldiers onto the ground, an unexpected attack by somalian force brings two of helicopters down immediately. From there U.S soldiers must struggle to regain their balance while facing heavy gunfire


  • DIRECTOR: Ridley Scott 
  • CAST: Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor, Tome Sizemore, Eric Bana
  • MUSIC: Hans Zimmer
  • CINEMATOGRAPHY: Slawomit Idziac
     Reference: Wikipedia, IMDB

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Years

  I have never celebrated New Year's in my life: 24 years and not even a single year. I don’t remember doing the countdown ever in my life. I never really saw the point. Also, the timing never came right.  Arguably this might have been the most difficult year of my life to get through. It has definitely been the loneliest year. Nothing much really happened. I learned a lot of stuff, career-wise, and life-wise. Human interaction was at its lowest. I made one new friend and lost countless. But I’m sure the one I made is for life, so that’s good. I really had to throw everything in and give my absolute best to get through this year. There were days when I felt like giving everything up and going back home. I still do, some days, most days. I don’t even know what’s keeping me here.  Though sometimes I like the uncertainty I have with my life. I have never been a planner. Nothing in my life has been planned. School, college, career, friends, love, heartbreaks. Everything just happened a

Letters to Rahel - Episodes of grief

Dear Rahel, I feel like we're heading towards the end of this story. No matter how forward I look into the future, I can't see myself at peace. I am convinced that this is how it is going to go down. This feeling, this constant feeling of helplessness and chronic dissatisfaction. It is here to stay. This is how it is going to be forever. I don't feel like a real person anymore. I feel like the memory of a person, and memory's fading. Soon it'll be like I never existed.  I have been having these episodes of grief lately. Why do I call it episodes of grief you may ask. I have been having days where it feels like someone had died. It's somebody's funeral. And I sit through the day trying to figure out who had died. It sure feels like someone I knew very closely had died.  Maybe I'm dying. I feel like I've been forgetting myself lately. Like you know how you used to be friends with someone back in school. You used to tell each other everything. And now y

Mother, please come get me

I keep having this recurring nightmare, cutting myself open, with the sharpest blade. My face and my arms. It is not a pretty sight, but simultaneously so calm and soothing. I keep thinking about it throughout the day, trying to find out the meaning behind it. The visual keeps popping up in my head, how blood, red as wine kept flowing out of the slits smoothly. I tried to taste it in my dream but woke up just before I brought it to my tongue. I feel like buying a typewriter, and typing out hundreds of words, and then burning those papers. I want to write about grief. About loneliness, and the dark dampness of winter. About mothers, and fathers. About crippling anxiety, and the labyrinth of adulthood. About how your world becomes less and less wide as you grow up. About the helplessness of it all. About the hopelessness of it all. About the pointlessness of it all.  I have become emotionally numb like never before. It feels like a dam of tears spurring and stuck inside of me. Unattended