Skip to main content

The thing about fallen dry leaves.

 


   


    A leaf has fallen. A brown large yellow dry old leaf. It fell in front of my 3-year-old nephew. He went and bought an oval-shaped bath soap because the smell of it made him happy. Now his two-year-old sister also wants to hold it. I say maybe cut it? So both of you have equal halves. But then that would take the beauty out of it that is the oval shape.

A man is taking his dog for a walk. It's a pug. I have always wondered why people adored pugs so much. They aren't even that cute. Maybe I should buy a pet. I could buy a fish for starters. Hmm. I have seen a kid selling goldfish on the roadside nearby. Hmm. 

My 3-year-old and 2-year-old nephews went to play at the nearby house. He tells me not to take the soap because he wants to have the first bath with it. I'm sitting on the wooden swing that my father had made for them. It's positioned pretty low but it does the job. I sit there for 30 minutes.  

Now, the thing about melancholy.

The thing about melancholy is that it doesn't come with an ETA or an ETD. 

And although it comes down as a party of clouds slowly flowing down to over your head. It doesn't come with a warning or invitation or any sorts of forecastings.

 The thing about melancholy is that, once you get the jiff of it, there is no going back. You'll find yourself seeking, searching, craving for it at every corner you can find. In a look a stranger gave you. That text someone sent you. That comment you added went unnoticed. You look for it everywhere. And lucky for you, before too long you're able to find a bit of it. 

And another thing is the quantity or intensity of the thing doesn't matter really. Because melancholy is more like a slowly growing parasitic exponential graphical sort of thing. At one point of the day, you're like, "Oh that thing, hmm a potential candidate for today's melancholic spiral trip." And next thing you know, you're on the floor lying face down. You realize the thing has kinda grown all over you. It washed over you and took your lively soul with it until god knows when.

 So that's the thing, melancholy doesn't come with an ETA or an ETD. It just leaves you there, waiting, longing, yearning, but the sad part is, you don't know what you're longing for. So you just sit there, sit there.... waiting for the cloud to pass over you. 

But a part of you also kinda doesn't want it to pass, because fuck, you kinda like the damp gloomy comfort it gives you. The feeling that no matter what happens now, you're down here so there is no falling again. Fuck you void. 

So maybe it's a good thing that melancholy doesn't come with an ETA or an ETD. Because if it did, you'd know when would the cloud pass over and now you know you just have to pass time till then maybe sleep or something. And you would know when it's going to come and you can totally prepare for it.  I mean that would take the fun out of it. So what I'm saying is, the beauty of melancholy is that it does not come with an ETA or an ETD. The sheer unexpectedness or snap, just like that, like a fucking switch. That, ...that not knowing makes it a feeling worth lying face down getting ripped to pieces for. 



Sayonara.


***









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Years

  I have never celebrated New Year's in my life: 24 years and not even a single year. I don’t remember doing the countdown ever in my life. I never really saw the point. Also, the timing never came right.  Arguably this might have been the most difficult year of my life to get through. It has definitely been the loneliest year. Nothing much really happened. I learned a lot of stuff, career-wise, and life-wise. Human interaction was at its lowest. I made one new friend and lost countless. But I’m sure the one I made is for life, so that’s good. I really had to throw everything in and give my absolute best to get through this year. There were days when I felt like giving everything up and going back home. I still do, some days, most days. I don’t even know what’s keeping me here.  Though sometimes I like the uncertainty I have with my life. I have never been a planner. Nothing in my life has been planned. School, college, career, friends, love, heartbreaks. Everything just happened a

Letters to Rahel - Episodes of grief

Dear Rahel, I feel like we're heading towards the end of this story. No matter how forward I look into the future, I can't see myself at peace. I am convinced that this is how it is going to go down. This feeling, this constant feeling of helplessness and chronic dissatisfaction. It is here to stay. This is how it is going to be forever. I don't feel like a real person anymore. I feel like the memory of a person, and memory's fading. Soon it'll be like I never existed.  I have been having these episodes of grief lately. Why do I call it episodes of grief you may ask. I have been having days where it feels like someone had died. It's somebody's funeral. And I sit through the day trying to figure out who had died. It sure feels like someone I knew very closely had died.  Maybe I'm dying. I feel like I've been forgetting myself lately. Like you know how you used to be friends with someone back in school. You used to tell each other everything. And now y

Mother, please come get me

I keep having this recurring nightmare, cutting myself open, with the sharpest blade. My face and my arms. It is not a pretty sight, but simultaneously so calm and soothing. I keep thinking about it throughout the day, trying to find out the meaning behind it. The visual keeps popping up in my head, how blood, red as wine kept flowing out of the slits smoothly. I tried to taste it in my dream but woke up just before I brought it to my tongue. I feel like buying a typewriter, and typing out hundreds of words, and then burning those papers. I want to write about grief. About loneliness, and the dark dampness of winter. About mothers, and fathers. About crippling anxiety, and the labyrinth of adulthood. About how your world becomes less and less wide as you grow up. About the helplessness of it all. About the hopelessness of it all. About the pointlessness of it all.  I have become emotionally numb like never before. It feels like a dam of tears spurring and stuck inside of me. Unattended