Skip to main content

Where’d all the fireflies go?





It's raining.

Where'd all the fireflies go?

I remember back in the days when I'd see a firefly and after hours of struggle, I'd finally be able to trap it inside a little medicine bottle. They usually appeared during the power cuts at night and came in pairs.

Where'd all the fireflies go?

I miss the fireflies.
I miss the old days.
I miss the old me.

At one point you're in your childhood and all you want is to grow up and get into college. You buy college notebooks even though you only need a small 100 page notebooks for your school. Because you can't bear the excitement and the waiting. You already want to feel like a grownup.

And years pass by fast and without even knowing you're now in college. 
But somehow you feel lost and empty. The years you thought that was going to be the most exciting in your whole life has turned out to be the most mundane.

You feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities and suddenly everyone wants you to act all mature. Nothing seems lively enough for you now. Simple jokes don't make you laugh now.
Somehow you're not able to make yourself happy. But you can't let people know that. So you put all those social media posts and stories pretending to have a cool, fun life. Until you realize how pathetic and low key it is.

You have no idea what to do so you just go with the flow. You're tired all the time and you live every day the same. 
You are mostly confined to your room. You find movie characters more relatable than real ones. You pretend okay in front of everyone when you know that deep inside you're trapped inside a spiral.

The only productive thing you've achieved in these days is the ability to sit idle, dreaming for hours. You prefer dreams over reality. You prefer to book characters over your friends and relatives now. 

You pretend long enough and realize that you're getting very good at it.  

You wonder if that's what everybody was doing all along.
Just, pretending?

You're not able to sleep at night. So you binge watch TV shows and ask yourself rhetorical questions and regret yourself to sleep.
You find yourself more interesting than other people. So you talk to yourself more. You argue with your subconscious before even saying a word. 

I miss the fireflies.

Now all you want to do is to go back to your childhood. You wish for that time travel movies to be true. You wish if you'd been just stuck inside your childhood forever. 

Off you go spiraling again.
You're falling into a void.
So you do one and the only thing that will clear your mind. 
You play your playlist.
You take your diary.
You start pouring down everything. The feeling, regrets, emotions, wrong decisions, all of it.
You know you're not good with the words. But you do it anyway because that's the only way of getting out of this.

Some old wise man once said, "I guess that's what life is, you go on living it whether you like it or not."

Sayonara.



Images: Pinterest



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Years

  I have never celebrated New Year's in my life: 24 years and not even a single year. I don’t remember doing the countdown ever in my life. I never really saw the point. Also, the timing never came right.  Arguably this might have been the most difficult year of my life to get through. It has definitely been the loneliest year. Nothing much really happened. I learned a lot of stuff, career-wise, and life-wise. Human interaction was at its lowest. I made one new friend and lost countless. But I’m sure the one I made is for life, so that’s good. I really had to throw everything in and give my absolute best to get through this year. There were days when I felt like giving everything up and going back home. I still do, some days, most days. I don’t even know what’s keeping me here.  Though sometimes I like the uncertainty I have with my life. I have never been a planner. Nothing in my life has been planned. School, college, career, friends, love, heartbreaks. Everything just happened a

Letters to Rahel - Episodes of grief

Dear Rahel, I feel like we're heading towards the end of this story. No matter how forward I look into the future, I can't see myself at peace. I am convinced that this is how it is going to go down. This feeling, this constant feeling of helplessness and chronic dissatisfaction. It is here to stay. This is how it is going to be forever. I don't feel like a real person anymore. I feel like the memory of a person, and memory's fading. Soon it'll be like I never existed.  I have been having these episodes of grief lately. Why do I call it episodes of grief you may ask. I have been having days where it feels like someone had died. It's somebody's funeral. And I sit through the day trying to figure out who had died. It sure feels like someone I knew very closely had died.  Maybe I'm dying. I feel like I've been forgetting myself lately. Like you know how you used to be friends with someone back in school. You used to tell each other everything. And now y

Mother, please come get me

I keep having this recurring nightmare, cutting myself open, with the sharpest blade. My face and my arms. It is not a pretty sight, but simultaneously so calm and soothing. I keep thinking about it throughout the day, trying to find out the meaning behind it. The visual keeps popping up in my head, how blood, red as wine kept flowing out of the slits smoothly. I tried to taste it in my dream but woke up just before I brought it to my tongue. I feel like buying a typewriter, and typing out hundreds of words, and then burning those papers. I want to write about grief. About loneliness, and the dark dampness of winter. About mothers, and fathers. About crippling anxiety, and the labyrinth of adulthood. About how your world becomes less and less wide as you grow up. About the helplessness of it all. About the hopelessness of it all. About the pointlessness of it all.  I have become emotionally numb like never before. It feels like a dam of tears spurring and stuck inside of me. Unattended